Monday, August 27, 2012

Introducing the Rag Dolls

When I was little, somebody gave me a rag doll. Her name was Rag Doll. Her rustic dress was a very simple fold-and-cut pattern, and her hair was a tangle of knotted rags. She was absolutely beautiful. Her face consisted only of two small eyes, but you could look into those little yarn knots and see exactly what she wanted to say.

Years later, when I decided to start a toy-making business, I knew I had to make rag dolls. Using my old doll (yes, she's still around and well) as a template, I drafted their pattern on newsprint and set to cutting and sewing.





...and stuffing.





If I say so myself, I was quite pleased with the results.

 Isobel, looking very reflective.

 Anne, playing in the school yard.

Adelaide, relaxing in an apple tree.

I make toys because I love them. Each one of these dolls is an individual, an artisan doll with her own history, hoping to share her future with a loving owner.

(These dolls, and others like them, are available through my Etsy page)

No comments:

Post a Comment