Monday, October 8, 2012

Autumn Jubilee

Well, we're back from the Autumn Jubilee craft show.

It was The Toy Cove's first big show, and the toys and I have been working non-stop for the past few weeks in preparation.

Many toys got ready for what we all hoped would be their adoption day. It was an emotional time for all, especially as prototypes and adoptable plushies say their goodbyes.



The studio had been getting more and more hectic as the day drew nearer; pigs and frogs were piled up everywhere, last-minute fixes were being made, heads were being counted, and every now and again someone cried out, "But I don't have a tail yet!"


 

At the same time, displays were being touched up and loaded into the car, and I was double-checking the promotional material.

Brochure and business cards  






Personalized bags
My very first eraser stamp (the business is on a budget).

I loaded everyone up in their car seats (moving boxes) on Friday night, and early Saturday morning, we set off.

Thousands of people come to the Autumn Jubilee every year, so we were expecting to say goodbye to many friends as they found their new families.
 
A quick phone image of The Toy Cove's booth


Unfortunately, despite the park being absolutely mobbed, during the eight hours we were there, only one baby owl was adopted.

At six o'clock, everyone got back into their boxes. I assured them that tomorrow was another day, and that it would certainly be better.

On Sunday morning, I awoke to find that it was raining outside, and had been all night long. At eight a.m. I called the park to see if the show would go on (it was still dark and pouring), and found that all vendors were expected to show up. Thankfully, we had a canopy to sit under.

The day was cold and damp, but a few hundred people still showed up. Another baby owl was adopted.

One of the Pocket Pigs was feeling a little down (and who could blame him?), so I let him come down from the display shelf and curl up in my lap.


Pig in a blanket

All in all, the show was a flop, but not just for us. Many other vendors complained of their astonishingly low sales (especially compared to the high turnout). Although I had never been to the Jubilee as a vendor, I had at least expected to earn back the cost of my spot.

But, it was very validating to see so many people pause at the booth and fawn over all the toys. Over and over again, a passing child's eyes would pop, and they'd try to escape their parent to run to a display and squeal over a frog or pig.

"Mama look! Frogs!"

"I want this little pig! Please? I really want him."

"You can zip them; they have a pocket. Look!"


I was disappointed, at first, by the lack of sales, but even after a long, cold day, the toys were all beaming with pride and delight. It's impossible to stay bummed when a Long-Leggity Frog is about to burst with happiness at being so loved by strangers.


Visit The Toy Cove's website or Etsy Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment